Image Map

Thursday, April 6, 2017

Happy Ever After (published in HELLO Alanya, October 2014)

It’s autumn in Alanya and with that ‘The Season’ is almost over. And as one season is saying goodbye another, very romantic season comes rolling in; the wedding season. There is a lot of decorated wedding cars driving around in the streets of Alanya for as long as the ‘r’ is in the month so to say. ‘R’ standing for Ring, obviously. Expect to spot a wedding couple having its pictures taken on one of the many beautiful locations in town. And you might have to spend a whole lot of time at your hairdresser’s salon for what usually takes only an hour, as everyone is busy running around to get the bride and her huge entourage ready and looking as glamorous as ever on the big day. At night there are the fireworks who light up the black sky and that is how I know that somewhere out there yet another couple just said ‘Evet’ to each other that very moment and I silently send them my best wishes.

I am having the privilege of being invited to three weddings this fall. When a good friend of mine, who once used to live here herself, asked me this summer when one of these wedding would be I answered: ‘somewhere at the end of the season’. She laughed and said: ‘that is such an Alanya thing to say’. I guess that’s true. There’s a lot of things we say that only make sense when you actually live here, but I’ll safe that for another column.

The truth is that weddings are always special and wonderful, but for some reason the ones I am attending this year somehow feel extra special in a way.  One is a close friend of Bülent getting married to a lovely girl I just met. The other one is a German – Turkish wedding. Cross cultural weddings always lift my spirits and make them do a little happy dance all while waving the victory flag. These couples are close to my heart and make me feel proud of them for having found a way to bridge and celebrate their love for each other against all odds and challenges they went through without a doubt. And the last one is so extra super special because it’s our best friend’s wedding. Someone I know since my very first evening of having arrived in Alanya some 13 years ago. For a big part of that time he has been going through life as a very attractive and successful bachelor, the I-want-to-settle-down-but-can’t-find-The-One kind of thing. And to be fair, working in the tourism industry brings some very big challenges on its own into the picture when it comes to finding and keeping the right partner. The whole world, ok maybe not the world, but everyone who knows him, which covers quite a substantial part of it, has been waiting for this glorious day to come. Kind of like with George Clooney I’d say, who also as if by a miracle just got married by the way. I can’t even express how happy I am to know that my dear friend finally has found The One, who definitely was worth all the waiting I want to add, and to see him tie the knot in a couple of days.

And to these wonderful friends of ours, and all the other couples out there who are getting married in Alanya this winter, I want to wish all of you a lifetime of love and happiness. May you always stay in love and may there be many lovely surprises and many sweet babies in the years to come inshallah. The roads will be up and down in the future, as they always are, but hopefully many times more up. No matter what life has in store for you, always remember all the beautiful reasons of what made you fall in love with each other in the first place and the magic of your wedding day. 

 photo Canimbenimsig.jpg

No comments :

Post a Comment