Image Map

Thursday, April 6, 2017

New beginnings (published in HELLO Alanya, April 2015)

Hello to all you dear ones. Welcome back at my little corner in this beautiful magazine. I’m looking forward to a new season in Alanya and to talking with you about all things big and small in life that keep our minds and hearts occupied as we float through 2015.
April always feels a bit like New Year’s Day around here in a way. There is many ways to count a year. At work a year begins and ends with the calendar. For students a year is divided into semesters. If you are pregnant or parents to a baby, you count every month. For children, the seemingly endless amount of time that goes into one year is marked by birthdays, Christmas, Bayram, happy events and of course summer break. But if you live in Alanya, the year is divided into two big parts, the summer season and the winter season. And with the beginning of the summer season everything feels fresh and new and full of possibilities again. Much like January 1st. There is renovation work going on everywhere in town, new tourists will come and old ones will come back. New friendships are being made and many will fall in love here, something that seems inevitable in our little town. ‘It must be something in the water’ as they say around here. Whether it’s the water, the sunshine, the beautiful surrounding or the locals working their charms, or maybe a combination of all of these things, it’s definitely attractive to so many tourist visiting every year.

In the warm and bright light of the new season, I wanted to share with you my idea of making plans and resolutions for the new year ahead. 2015 is still young and so it’s not too late to think about what you want to archive this year. Because we all want to start new beginnings with the best intentions at heart. We plan to be more successful, to lose weight before summer comes, to live healthier and do more sports, quit smoking, earn more money, travel more, buy a house, a car or whatever it is you want to purchase. And as the months roll buy the goals we set kind of disappear in the distance and we feel a bit embarrassed when we have to admit that we kind of lost the motivation to chase them. This is why resolutions, expressed in a single specific goal, don’t work if you ask me. They often lead to frustration and excuses. I have discovered some years ago that it is much more effective and satisfying if you pick a word instead of a goal. Just one word, that you can apply to every area of colorful life. It can be anything you want, as long as it’s positive and constructive. Think of words like creativity, ambition, growth, renovation, service, change, love, travel, educating yourself and so on. Come up with one word that you want to represent how you approach things in your life and remind yourself of this word as you go along. Honor this word and give it your best intention. Use it with honesty. For example last year, my personal word was dedication. As a new mom, I dedicated myself completely to the tasks of motherhood and family life. But I also applied the word to other areas in my life like maintaining my friendships and taking care of my good health the best way I could. This year I chose a new word. It is manifestation. And by that I mean doing things right away rather than postponing them. Daily tasks as well as the big stuff. There are some things on my mind that I have been planning and talking about quite a lot but just didn’t do them yet. And I know it’s time for me to kick my own butt and just get going when I get tired of hearing myself talking about my plans without actually doing much about it. So this new season I want to be all about manifesting a dream or two and I intend to do much more of walking the walk rather than just talking the talk. Word! What is your new word going to be? 

 photo Canimbenimsig.jpg

No comments :

Post a Comment