Image Map

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Santa Claus discovered Alanya

I’m a December child, born on Christmas eve and all. And thus I love Christmas. But somehow I haven’t gotten into the spirit at all so far.. no snow (not even close), no street decoration and no ‘Last Christmas’ song on the radio anymore this year. Except for a little splash of reds and greens here and there and the seasonal coffee at Starbucks (who would even jingle all the way in the midst of the Arabian Desert), there is not much that reminds you that the holidays are coming.
But yesterday we had a cozy little Christmas Market down at the harbor side. It was the second time this event was taking place and I was looking forward to go and check it out so I gently forced Bülent into going with me. It was a sunny Sunday and it seemed like all of Alanya had come out of their homes to share the Christmas joy. Expats and locals, young and old were happily mingling, tasting each other’s food and presenting their arts and crafts. With products and bakery from all over Europe, Turkish children singing Christmas carols in English and German, Santa Claus’ presence and a huge Tannenbaum in the middle of it all I finally did get into the mood.
I think Alanya just got itself into creating another tradition.. the annual Christmas fair. And no doubt on my mind that these stands will grow better and bigger with every year and that a new generation will grow up with memories of sitting on Santa's lab. Alanya finally discovered the magic of Santa, though I'd secretly like to think that it was the other way around.
Just like I was celebrating Ramadan Festival in Amsterdam every year, which is a big event mostly celebrated with food and music, I was now celebrating Christmas in Turkey. And now it was the Dutch who offered their specialties from behind their stands and the Turks asking questions and curiously taking a bite from their greesy and powdered oliebollen. It's such a nice way to make others see what your culture is all about and to share the fun and food together. Some people were completely new to this kind of celebration and were just observing from a distance. But judging from the smiling faces all around me the ice had clearly melted. Afterwards I had to rush home to post my new pictures while making me a nice cup of hot coco, lighting some candles and listening to Chris Rea’s ‘Driving home for Christmas’. I'm so feeling it now. And I can't wait to fly home for Christmas next week.
Happy Holiday preparations everyone! 





\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\
\








 photo Canimbenimsig.jpg

No comments :

Post a Comment